Thursday, December 14, 2006

Emperors of the US, and elephant-killing lions

As I just got back from 8 days in Honduras (our honeymoon, very nice, thank-you for asking) I'm in the process of catching up with work etc, but here are two interesting things I've learnt in the last 24 hours.

First of all - adult elephants are not free from predation (as is often stated in wildlife programs). The ever-interesting Darren Naish has a post on this over at Tetrapod Zoology. Go read. He also discusses the self-censorship most wildlife programs practice with respect to showing popular animals killing and eating other popular animals.


Secondly. Bet you didn't know that there was an Emperor of the US (and I don't mean GW)?

I'm Joshua Abraham Norton, the first and only Emperor of the United States of America!
Which Historical Lunatic Are You?
From the fecund loins of Rum and Monkey.

No comments: