Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The HORROR, part II (or how to upgrade your windows hard-drive)

Last month I complained about the difficulty of upgrading a PC's primary hard-drive (i.e the one holding your primary Windows XP and/or Linux system partitions) without having to reinstall Windows and all its software by hand (and without buying commercial Windows-centric software) to the new drive.

Well, I eventually worked out how to do it with rdiff-backup after several weekends (and many weekday evenings) of experimentation and much frustration.

As I haven't seen all the necessary steps laid out together anywhere on the web, I've put together a page on my website entitled "Using rdiff-backup to restore Windows XP and Linux to a new disk." So that is the place to go if you need to know how.

No comments: